Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Desktop PC

UpstartCaesar3
    UpstartCaesar3
    Amateur Gamer

GH Points : 112

Desktop PC Empty Desktop PC

Post  UpstartCaesar3 Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 am

Anyone construct their own computer? How hard was it? Thinking about packing in the console and going PC. Anyone paint their computer either? Thinking bout doing it but need a bit more research first.
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

GH Points : 129

Desktop PC Empty Re: Desktop PC

Post  Nathan Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 am

Have built my own computer, bit of research is needed. I wouldn't say it is that hard to build it, just time consuming.

Here is a pretty good site that allows you to construct a PC and see how much it comes to (uses prices from many websites).

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

A couple of websites that I use to research newer hardware as well.

The rest of the cards in the NVIDIA GTX600 series will be coming out soon, I'd say the 660ti/670/670ti will be the best choices based on what price they are in the end.

With the Intel Ivy Bridge processors having just come out (3770K etc), then it is a great time to get an i5-2500k, only 10% slower and will be on the cheap.

Also a video showing how to build one, was filmed a while back but is still relevant as nothing has really changed in terms of building them.

Jak
    Jak
    Amateur Gamer

GH Points : 85

Post  Jak Tue May 01, 2012 9:06 am

I built mine, had a fair few problems after construction but they were eventually ironed out. For the quality and price of doing it yourself, and the satisfaction too!, I would say it is definitely worth doing it. I agree with what Nathan has said as well. Also I use a very good computer forum which I couldn't recommend more. They can evaluate your build before you buy it and give you tips. They are also excellent troubleshooters (fixed mine for me). Overall a very clever and friendly community, I would recommend signings up Smile
    UpstartCaesar3
    UpstartCaesar3
    Amateur Gamer

Post  UpstartCaesar3 Wed May 02, 2012 7:02 am

do ye find yourselves constantly updating the PC hardware? Are ye able to play new releases on the PC or do ye opt for consoles? Are your PC's top of the line? If you wouldn't mind or even if you knew, what kind of specs/hardware do ye have?
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Nathan Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 am

I don't find myself upgrading too often, I only got my HD 6970 last year and I'd had a HD 4850 for about 2 years before then, I plan on keeping my 6970 until next year. Processors are usually a less frequent upgrade, I have had my Phenom II 955 for around 3 years now and have only just now decided I should sell it and upgrade to a 3570k. I'm also soon going to upgrade from 4GB RAM to 8GB relatively soon.

I'd say most of the upgrades that I have done haven't been needed, I just want to keep up with the latest technology.

These are my specs at this moment in time:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition OC 3.7Ghz
    4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Samsung F3 1TB
    AMD Radeon HD 6970 880/1375
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro
    Antec Three-Hundred Midi Tower
    Corsair HX750W PSU

I play most new releases on my PC, max settings at a good framerate (I'd say 40+ is acceptable). I rarely ever buy new games for my 360 unless I am playing with friends.
    Jak
    Jak
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Jak Thu May 03, 2012 5:33 am

I built my computer around 4 years ago now (I think it will be 4 years this year) and it can still play almost all new releases, though not quite on maximum anymore. I've made the odd upgrade (new hard drive, more RAM) but nothing major until last summer when I upgraded my HD 4850 to an HD 5850. Think my problem for new games now is my processor. It's a Q6600 and is 2.4Ghz, which isn't brilliant anymore. I could overclock it but I haven't yet. I only want to do that when I have to.
    UpstartCaesar3
    UpstartCaesar3
    Amateur Gamer

Post  UpstartCaesar3 Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 am

think ill go with the PC over a console as itd be an all in one rather than 2 different for gaming. also plan to build myself as theres more bang for my buck. would you reccommend any parts? bare in my my budget would be around 700 euro
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Nathan Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 am

If I were you I would wait until the 3570K is in mass supply, thus the 2500K being lower in price and a much better deal. I would also wait until the rest of the NVIDA GTX600 series releases.
    Jak
    Jak
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Jak Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 am

Caesar check out the forum I linked earlier, they will recommend you the best build for your budget Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:00 am