Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Super Meat Boy Review

Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

GH Points : 129

Super Meat Boy Review Empty Super Meat Boy Review

Post  Nathan Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 am

First ever attempt at a game review, let me know how it is. Shortish review due to it being a smaller indie game.

---------------------------------

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Super Meat Boy Review

Introduction

Indie game Super Meat Boy is an intensely fun, fast paced and most of all an extremely unforgiving 2D platformer that has absolutely no hesitation to punish you. Failure in this game is something that WILL happen; and something that will happen very often. How do you react to the constant prospect of brutal death? Well as I found out, rage a lot yet still carry on as you will make it past the level you seem to be cemented in, only to find that the same scenario will play out again in the subsequent levels. The feeling gained after beating just one challenging level in Super Meat Boy is immense and will keep you coming back to the game again and again.

Story

In Super Meat Boy you play as, well, a piece of meat running around and scaling walls to avoid falling to his death. Why is Meat Boy doing this? Because he is trying to rescue his girlfriend, Bandage Girl from the evil Dr. Fetus! You travel through several different worlds facing increasingly challenging levels with each of these worlds being in a completely different location, spanning from a salt factory to the depths of hell itself.

8/10

Gameplay

Super Meat Boy has you scaling walls to avoid death across many different environments and hazards with incredibly tight controls (right trigger to sprint and A to jump) to reach the goal at the end of every level. With my experience on the PC version, the Xbox 360 controller worked a lot better than the keyboard.

10/10

One of the first levels in the game.
    Graphics

Super Meat Boy offers a wide variety of different environments which are all masterfully crafted using the absolutely fantastic art style. Now, Super Meat Boy is no technical marvel, but it stands up there due to an art style of the highest quality. The drops of blood and the seamless animation of Super Meat Boy’s free-running combine incredibly well with the static environments that have absolutely no trouble holding-up against today’s technical graphical heavyweights such as Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 and even modded Skyrim.

10/10

Multiplayer
    There isn’t any multiplayer as such in this game, just leaderboards for you to compete with friends for the best times. There is also free downloadable content created by the community for you to play.

6/10

An example of the leaderboards.

Conclusion

Despite Super Meat Boy being on the downloadable games market since late 2010, I feel that the game was a very high quality and fun yet also punishing platformer in a market of little innovation and challenge in terms of gameplay. Super Meat Boy still stands out to me as THE platformer to play on PC and Xbox 360.

Overall – 8.5/10

Last edited by Nathan on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Admin

GH Points : 440

Super Meat Boy Review Empty Re: Super Meat Boy Review

Post  Jordan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:13 am

Great review mate. Im liking the [Only admins are allowed to see this link] symbol in the corner of your main picture Smile

Ive not really played any indie games, but I might have to give the a try at some point.
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Nathan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 am

Slightly unfortunate that the main image is cut off a bit, I'll have to resize it in a bit.
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Admin

Post  Jordan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:19 am

Ok thats cool. Do you mind if I move it to the portal review section so it will appear on the portal page?
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Nathan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:22 am

Not bothered, do what you want with it. Smile
    Jordan
    Jordan
    Admin

Post  Jordan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:25 am

What font is that you used for the Gaming-haven bit btw? I might put that in all our review pictures Smile
    Nathan
    Nathan
    Amateur Gamer

Post  Nathan Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:29 am

Bebas Neue

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:10 am